Now open to new clients
If you’re interested in having a professional take a look at your writing, make sure you know what kind of editing you’re in the market for before you invest. The types of editing I offer are listed below and are standard for the publishing industry. They are listed in the order they are (usually) done:
- Substantive editing – structure, setting, character development, theme, etc.–“Big Picture” editing ($8/approximate page)
- Line editing – stylistic editing, grammar, puntuation, diction, making sure words flow at the proper pace and impact for your work. ($8/approximate page)
- Copyediting – improving the formatting, style, and accuracy of text ($5/approximate page)
- Proofreading – detecting and correcting production-errors ($2.50/page)
- Formatting for eBook – for INDEPENDENT AUTHORS – preparing a document from your source file that is fully formatted and ready for conversion for Kindle Direct Publishing, PubIt!, Smashwords.com, and other eBook publishing sites (depending on the source file, this can be a smooth or grueling process, so I have to go with an hourly rate for this service, $25/hour)
Every service I offer includes a 10 to 30 minute gmail chat/AIM chat session after the client has had a chance to look over my notes. I do charge the lower end of the industry’s standard prices, mainly because I love writers :) You can see the standard hourly rates here.
Because some of these services can overlap, I also offer package services and add-ons at a discount instead of charging for two separate services:
- Heavy Copyediting – combination of Line and Copyediting ($10/approximate page)
- Proofreading add-on – add Proofreading to any other editing service for 50% off
- Formatting for eBook – add Formatting to any other editing service for 50% off
Custom packages are also available.
For more information about pricing and services, feel free to contact me using the “Contact” page, the tab to the left, or leave a comment here :)
Why hire this lady?
Aside from my advanced placement in English classes since I was ten years old (*ahem*), I have been writing and editing creative, academic, and professional text for over ten years, beginning with gratis work for secondary school and university literary magazines, and advertisement copy for several local businesses. I have worked with and edited the following kinds of writing for exchange:
- Creative writing (novels, short stories, essays)
- Academic writing
- Ad copy
- Blog content
- News letters
I’ve also had the opportunity to coordinate a local writing group for nearly five years, wherein we explored and honed our abilities as constructive critics, which means I know how to tell you what works and what doesn’t without making it feel like I’m punching you in the gut. Also important is my ability to critique your work from an unbiased place, without turning it into my own writing or into something that better suits my own tastes.
In addition to my real-world experience, I hold a BA in Media Study from the University at Buffalo. During my time at school I was able to work with students and professors to expand my understanding and experience working with multiple forms of communication, all of which involved effective writing and editing. I also had the opportunity to study publishing and writing in Oxford, England.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions, or for more information.